In the most recent reports from the Tennessee Department of Transportion and the Department of Justice, Tennessee ranks 8th in the entire nation for most cars stolen. In this article Montgomery & Associates Insurance & Financial Services will share the top cars that are stolen in the state and how to avoid being a victim of car theft.
Hattie B’s Car Theft in Parking Lot
You run from Hattie B’s Hot Chicken after having an amazing dining experience, braving the cold and snow, only to find your car is not where you left it. Your mind is confused.
Your mind starts racing and you think…
“I know I parked it here.”
You stop for a minute, then question yourself…
“Was this really the place I parked?”
After a few more minutes, the gravity of the situation hits you…
MY CAR HAS BEEN STOLEN!
Finally, the financial implications pop up…
“How am I going to afford to replace my car?”
“Does car insurance cover theft?”
“How likely is it that I’ll get my stolen car back?”
“How much is this going to cost me?”
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, every 45 seconds a motor vehicle is stolen in the United States. Contributing factors include make and model of your car and owner behavior.
Top 5 Cars Makes Models Stolen in Tennessee
- Chevrolet Pick-Up Trucks
- Ford F150 Trucks
- Honda Accord
- Dodge Pick-Up Trucks
- Honda Civic
In 2019, Tennessee ranked eighth among all states by number of motor vehicles stolen in the United States. (according to the U.S. Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Uniform Crime Report). Over the course of the year, 19,180 vehicles were stolen in Tennessee alone. According to the Metro Nashville Police Department data, 3100 cars were stolen in the city of Nashville. In certain time periods, more that 100 cars were stolen per day in Nashville and 70% of the vehicles stolen in the city were taken with the keys still in them.
Are you an easy target?
Many other factors play into whether a vehicle is stolen or not. Here are 4 reasons thieves look to when choosing victims.
Older model cars and pick up trucks are stolen most often
- Older cars lack the advanced technology systems and tracking devices newer models possess.
- Some older cars are becoming increasingly rare.
- They are sold for parts.
You make it easy for thieves.
- Leave the car unlocked, perhaps exiting too quickly to escape the rain.
- Keys are left in the ignition or idling.
- Windows are left down or just low enough for a thief to get in.
Some models are more attractive than others.
- The Full-Size Ford Pickup truck ranked #1 in 2019 for most stolen (38,938)
- Closely followed by the Honda Civic, and Full-Size Chevrolet Pickup (33,220 and 32,583 respectively)
Location, Location, Location
Where are cars stolen most often?
- Parking in dimly lit garages
- Using side alleys for parking spaces
- Leaving your car in a public place lacking a camera monitoring system
First and foremost, take every precaution so you do not give a thief the opportunity to steal your car. The quicker a thief can steal your vehicle, the more likely you will be a victim. Stay alert and do use these 5 smart tips to avoid being the next victim:
Top 6 Ways to How to Avoid Car Theft
1. When unattended, turn off your car
2. Park in well-lit areas
3. Keys should be with you rather than left in car
4. Lock your car doors
5. Hide valuable items BEFORE arriving at your parking location
6. When securing something valuable in the trunk do so BEFORE arriving at your parked location
Insurance that Protects You for Car Theft
To be properly insured against car or truck theft, be sure to acquire a comprehensive insurance policy, which covers you against damage to your vehicle from break-ins and also covers some of the expense of the actual car theft.
Receive an auto rate quote from Progressive Insurance and compare prices
Montgomery & Associates Insurance & Financial Services is a trusted source in car insurance protection in Tennessee and across the nation.
Call for a free rate quote: 855.207.9492